8 Brain Foods to Sharpen your Memory
Just as there is no magic pill to prevent cognitive decline, no single almighty brain food can ensure a sharp brain as you age. Nutritionists emphasize that the most important strategy is to follow a healthy dietary pattern that includes a lot of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Try to get protein from plant sources and fish and choose healthy fats, such as olive oil or canola, rather than saturated fats.
Research shows that the best brain foods are the same ones that protect your heart and blood vessels, including the following:
- Avocado- packed with unsaturated fatty acids, avocados can help in improving the brain. High blood pressure may cause cognitive decline. Unsaturated fat in avocados can reduce the blood pressure thus reducing the chances of cognitive problems.
- Coconut oil- a few studies have shown that coconut oil has helped in improving your brain health and boost up your memory. It can also help in keeping Alzheimer’s at bay to a certain extent.
- Green leafy vegetables- most people have an aversion towards green leafy vegetables but these are actually loaded with many brain-boosting nutrients like vitamin K, lutein, folate, fibre and beta carotene. Vegetables like spinach, kale and sage must be added to the diet. Studies have shown that these nutrients can improve brain health and reduce the chances of cognitive decline.
- Fish- fishes are rich in fatty acids especially omega 3. Types of fishes like salmon and sardines are packed with these fatty acids. Omega 3 helps in improving learning ability and memory power. It also helps in keeping Alzheimer’s diseases at bay. If your diet is devoid or has less omega 3 fatty acid, it may impair your learning capabilities and might at times trigger depression or anxiety.
- Turmeric- the medicinal properties of turmeric have been known to us for some time now. Curcumin, the star compound of turmeric which gives it all the benefits such as the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can improve your memory as well as act as a mood lifter and might ease depression to a certain extent.
- Walnut- ever observed the shape of a walnut, it does look like a brain. Walnuts are full of protein and good fats that is omega 3 fatty acid. It helps in reducing high blood pressure and thus protecting the brain from any kind of damage. It can also help in boosting memory power.
- Dark chocolate- this is a known fact that chocolates are an instant mood lifter. Apart from this, caffeine and flavonoids help in improving the brain. It also has antioxidant properties which can further help from brain damage. Dark chocolates and cocoa powders can help in learning abilities and boosting memory.
- Coffee- the compound in coffee that makes it a brain food is caffeine and antioxidants. It makes your brain more alert and concentrated. It also charges up the serotonin level which is basically the neurotransmitter that makes you ‘feel-good’. Having coffee may reduce the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases to some extent as well.